03 January 2010

brrr

Yeah yeah, I know I do not have a beach chair to stand on here, but dang it is cold. Bundle up in all your clothes that you brought because you thought it was going to be warm cold.
Ha. I am in a turtleneck. And long pants. And wool socks. And when we head out, I'll be in two light jackets and a scarf too. So much for warm. But we do have sand, and palm trees, and the sun setting over the gulf. And pelicans. And no snow. So I should shush.

But warm? not so much. Because of the unexpected cold and the kate, I have been feeling pretty brittle rather than relaxed which sucks rocks. BUT away counts for a lot.
I did not tell you how this started, did I.
In the plane, I reached down to help the woman next to me extract her bag from under the seat and at that moment, the tray fell, and I smacked my mouth on it so hard, I saw stars and cut myself rather dramatically right above my lip (vertical cut, nostril to lipline), bloody hell, bloody mess, headache and now? It is healing fine, more drama than damage. But what a start.

But, let's talk about the beauty- the waves crashing, green with the sun high, a steely blue as it sets, the big moon, the stars, the palm trees, the damn wind that makes everything lovely but the actual being outside part....
it is salty here, and wide open.
And we can walk for miles with nothing but wind and waves and the crush of shells (sorry shells) under out feet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound beautiful - I am freezing here too - it is like -10 with the wind chill...

sprogblogger said...

Mmmmm. Sorry it's chilly, not balmy, and super sorry you hurt your lip (damn, that sounds painful!) but oh so glad you're away, walking on shells and being out in the green and the sea salt and the wind.

just me, dawn said...

freezing here too....but somehow I still love the ocean when it is cold.....even like it is today with a 4 degree wind chill brrrr

Phoebe said...

Dang! That airplane incident sucked! Nothing worse than getting hit in the head. I hope you didn't get a concussion?

Palm trees and cold? Sounds like a tease to me. The long walks on the beach sound nice though.

IF Optimist, then... said...

Owwwie! Hope your lip is on the mend. That rightfully sucks. And the cool beach? Just jump in the water. It's only cold for a few minutes until your body gets used to it. ;-)

Michele said...

My lip hurt just reading that!! Hope you are feeling better!!!

I love the beach in winter. We used to go every new years eve and watch the year turn over. loved it. some of my favorite memories.